Demosthenes X
Apr 12, 09:01 AM
Sounds plausible. I don't know what else Apple can add to its existing iPod line besides small improvements... a few of their recent "revolutions" (buttonless Shuffle, touch-screen nano) have actually been steps backward, imo.
bobr1952
May 1, 09:19 AM
I don't want to burst your bubble but Apple sell their tracks in a lossy format. Apple's format for iTunes purcases is a different beast to Flac.
Yeah--open mouth insert foot--you know what they say about assumptions. Oh well, still a better bit rate so I guess I'll just be satisfied with that--or maybe I'll just save a bit of money at Amazon. Thanks for pointing out my poor assumptions. :o
Yeah--open mouth insert foot--you know what they say about assumptions. Oh well, still a better bit rate so I guess I'll just be satisfied with that--or maybe I'll just save a bit of money at Amazon. Thanks for pointing out my poor assumptions. :o

tbrinkma
Apr 28, 12:49 PM
How do you "win" a platform war?
Does Google win because they have so many devices running their Android OS? *Marketshare*
Or does Apple win because you have to buy their hardware in order to get iOS? *Profit*
Or can we just agree that both platforms are doing insanely well in their respective ways?
Heck, I'd go so far as to say, "Both platforms are doing insanely well." Period. Dead stop. End of sentence.
I've never understood the mindset that things for one group to do well everyone else must do poorly. How about the expression, "A rising tide lifts all boats."
Does Google win because they have so many devices running their Android OS? *Marketshare*
Or does Apple win because you have to buy their hardware in order to get iOS? *Profit*
Or can we just agree that both platforms are doing insanely well in their respective ways?
Heck, I'd go so far as to say, "Both platforms are doing insanely well." Period. Dead stop. End of sentence.
I've never understood the mindset that things for one group to do well everyone else must do poorly. How about the expression, "A rising tide lifts all boats."
gri
Oct 23, 01:57 PM
So, lets say you have Vista in Parallels - and a service or security update comes out. Could you still download it? I have a W2000 SP1 legally but it still doesn't let me update, giving me some error that our IT persons couldn't understand...:mad:
rusty2192
Apr 3, 08:29 AM
Another one from my outing last week. I got some nice shots yesterday, but I'm still working on editing them. I tried avoiding posting this one, but ran out of others. While I am happy with it for myself, I know it is rather (ok, very) cliche to post a duck shot ;)
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5133/5564642341_20e57c806e.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/48874590@N02/5564642341/)
IMG_3102 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/48874590@N02/5564642341/) by Rusty2192 (http://www.flickr.com/people/48874590@N02/), on Flickr
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5133/5564642341_20e57c806e.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/48874590@N02/5564642341/)
IMG_3102 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/48874590@N02/5564642341/) by Rusty2192 (http://www.flickr.com/people/48874590@N02/), on Flickr

Chef Medeski
Jul 21, 10:16 AM
AWESOME!
YAY.
We can beat Dell...
Very, very awesome. *proud to be an Apple fan*
Lets tackle Gateway first. Personally I don't feel its a triumph to have better mark share than them, they make POS computers and have the worst customer support. I see more as sad that we are even behind them. :(
But we'll get 'em. ;)
YAY.
We can beat Dell...
Very, very awesome. *proud to be an Apple fan*
Lets tackle Gateway first. Personally I don't feel its a triumph to have better mark share than them, they make POS computers and have the worst customer support. I see more as sad that we are even behind them. :(
But we'll get 'em. ;)
hayesk
Jul 25, 10:41 AM
It seems like a major problem with this would be the fact that you get no tactile feedback. However, I have tapping enabled on my iBook and I don't find it odd or uncomfortable at all then I "click" on something. I'm sure it would take some getting used to, but I imagine that it could work.
The 3G iPod did not have physical feedback, and they worked.
But the problem here is everyone is assuming that none-touch means you don't even touch the iPod. Did it occur to anyone that it means you don't have to touch the screen? This allows Apple to put a more durable transparent cover over the entire face of the iPod.
Think about it - a nice smooth seamless iPod face. When you put your finger over the display, the controls appear. Your finger touches the cover, but not the screen underneath. This allows for easy cleaning, and protection of the actual screen.
The 3G iPod did not have physical feedback, and they worked.
But the problem here is everyone is assuming that none-touch means you don't even touch the iPod. Did it occur to anyone that it means you don't have to touch the screen? This allows Apple to put a more durable transparent cover over the entire face of the iPod.
Think about it - a nice smooth seamless iPod face. When you put your finger over the display, the controls appear. Your finger touches the cover, but not the screen underneath. This allows for easy cleaning, and protection of the actual screen.
twoodcc
Oct 26, 07:15 PM
Seems to me like you are trying to say something there :rolleyes:
Well, ok then, I will look into it again, just don't hold your breath :p
If I can maybe we could catch back up to team Lithuania, they haven't gotten very far ahead of us, so maybe we could do it, 'course it would help to get some more people folding for us.
I also haven't gotten gpu2 to work on either of my gtx 260's, I think it might be a driver issue because it is a problem for a lot of people in XP and Vista as well :mad:
wait, you cant get gpu2 to work in windows?
I did a complete reinstall of folding@home and it is now doing a bigadv wu :)
Finally!
wu 2683 r12c9g7 looks to be about 27 min per frame.
dang that's fast. on a 2.26 mac pro? it's taking me like just under or right at 36 min on my i7 920 running at 3.5 ghz. hey now, if you could do these on your 920 then you could really put up some points
Well, ok then, I will look into it again, just don't hold your breath :p
If I can maybe we could catch back up to team Lithuania, they haven't gotten very far ahead of us, so maybe we could do it, 'course it would help to get some more people folding for us.
I also haven't gotten gpu2 to work on either of my gtx 260's, I think it might be a driver issue because it is a problem for a lot of people in XP and Vista as well :mad:
wait, you cant get gpu2 to work in windows?
I did a complete reinstall of folding@home and it is now doing a bigadv wu :)
Finally!
wu 2683 r12c9g7 looks to be about 27 min per frame.
dang that's fast. on a 2.26 mac pro? it's taking me like just under or right at 36 min on my i7 920 running at 3.5 ghz. hey now, if you could do these on your 920 then you could really put up some points
tristangage
Apr 13, 12:00 PM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5262/5616177495_3fdf26e3ff.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tristangage/5616177495/)
recording dials 4 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tristangage/5616177495/) by tristangage (http://www.flickr.com/people/tristangage/), on Flickr
Camera Canon EOS 500D
Exposure 0.017 sec (1/60)
Aperture f/5.6
Focal Length 55 mm
ISO Speed 800
recording dials 4 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tristangage/5616177495/) by tristangage (http://www.flickr.com/people/tristangage/), on Flickr
Camera Canon EOS 500D
Exposure 0.017 sec (1/60)
Aperture f/5.6
Focal Length 55 mm
ISO Speed 800

jdechko
Apr 29, 02:53 PM
Katy Perry's "E.T.", Jennifer Lopez's "On the Floor" and Lady Gaga's "Born This Way."
If those are the songs Amazon is selling then Apple doesn't need to worry about losing my business. :D
If those are the songs Amazon is selling then Apple doesn't need to worry about losing my business. :D
zap2
Jul 25, 11:02 AM
2+ full size optical drives opppsed to a single slow notebook drive
2+ hard drive bays
Card reader
Easy CPU upgrading
Easy RAM upgrading
Upgradable x16 PCI-Express slot compared to underclocked fixed notebook GPU
3+ PCI/ PCI-E x1 slots for upgrading to new devices
Choice of display
iMac is perfect for most home users.. few "home users"(people who buy a computer and use it, not super up to date about it) upgrade anything..maybe RAM and Harddrive but thats really it
2+ hard drive bays
Card reader
Easy CPU upgrading
Easy RAM upgrading
Upgradable x16 PCI-Express slot compared to underclocked fixed notebook GPU
3+ PCI/ PCI-E x1 slots for upgrading to new devices
Choice of display
iMac is perfect for most home users.. few "home users"(people who buy a computer and use it, not super up to date about it) upgrade anything..maybe RAM and Harddrive but thats really it
GorgonPhone
Apr 14, 11:12 AM
white iphone is ugly late and unnecessary so apple can keep it.. they never made it cause demand was always lower for white ones and the white design look worse on iphone 4 than on 3gs..
speedy815
Apr 15, 09:18 AM
Hopefully this may help other users with battery drain.
Turn off ping (found under Settings, General, Restrictions). Also, turn off location services and notifications.
OK, it's not ideal but I got 31 minutes out of my iPhone (4) before the battery went for to 99%.
Turn off ping (found under Settings, General, Restrictions). Also, turn off location services and notifications.
OK, it's not ideal but I got 31 minutes out of my iPhone (4) before the battery went for to 99%.
Rooskibar03
Apr 23, 04:04 PM
In general, the staff at most retail and restaurant chains are taught to notify the authorities and not get involved. Violating this policy can and will get you fired at best, or killed at worst.
And at what point in American society did helping a fellow human being in distress become less important that making 5 bucks an hour slinging burgers.
Seriously, if McD's fires you for doing the right thing I'm sure there is a BK nearby you can apply at.
IMHO the bystanders in this situation are just as guilty. Maybe Seinfield was onto something all those years ago.
And at what point in American society did helping a fellow human being in distress become less important that making 5 bucks an hour slinging burgers.
Seriously, if McD's fires you for doing the right thing I'm sure there is a BK nearby you can apply at.
IMHO the bystanders in this situation are just as guilty. Maybe Seinfield was onto something all those years ago.

mc68k
Oct 29, 10:59 PM
i was running -8, should i be running -16?
spotlight shouldnt have been an issue-- it had been on for hours and theres no user accounts on it. raid wasnt on yet.
not stressing too much about it. it's nice to replace a bunch of random machines (especially imacs) with one big producer that actually has a big fan and is designed to get rid of heat fast. those imacs get so hot i get scared for the components. we've had several go out recently. the fan hole on the back is so small its almost comical. apple can't have a fan on the back thats bigger than the logo! it can't have a hard drive light or a cd eject! that would ruin the aesthetics! can't replace the harddrive without suction cups!! needless to say i hate imacs.
spotlight shouldnt have been an issue-- it had been on for hours and theres no user accounts on it. raid wasnt on yet.
not stressing too much about it. it's nice to replace a bunch of random machines (especially imacs) with one big producer that actually has a big fan and is designed to get rid of heat fast. those imacs get so hot i get scared for the components. we've had several go out recently. the fan hole on the back is so small its almost comical. apple can't have a fan on the back thats bigger than the logo! it can't have a hard drive light or a cd eject! that would ruin the aesthetics! can't replace the harddrive without suction cups!! needless to say i hate imacs.
cmaier
Apr 24, 06:12 PM
The challenge
DESIGN A PHONE!
Conditions
1. Must be black.
2. Must be metal with no sharp edges (rounded edges) and be as simplistic as possible. Camera.
3. Touchscreen (no slide out keyboard)
4. Ergonomically friendly and look nice.
5. User interface to be nice and on par with present day interfaces (no 1990s looking icons).
6. Docking interface.
They are all going to look similar.
MS seemed to be able to get by without appropriating the look of Apple's interface.
DESIGN A PHONE!
Conditions
1. Must be black.
2. Must be metal with no sharp edges (rounded edges) and be as simplistic as possible. Camera.
3. Touchscreen (no slide out keyboard)
4. Ergonomically friendly and look nice.
5. User interface to be nice and on par with present day interfaces (no 1990s looking icons).
6. Docking interface.
They are all going to look similar.
MS seemed to be able to get by without appropriating the look of Apple's interface.
hulugu
Dec 2, 01:52 AM
After the Month of Kernel Bugs, are you concerned about Mac OS X security?
No - 62%
See, that bugs me. Everyone should be concerned about security. I believe OS X's overriding security feature is obscurity, and once that situation changes I can see the OS falling over very quickly.
One of the weakest links in the chain is the user, and if the user is not concerned then you have a problem.
Dont get me wrong, I think OS X is great, but it just hasn't been "weathered" in the wild like Windows has. If OS X becomes a viable target then we're in for a bumpy ride.
OSX is based on FreeBSD, which has been around for an eternity and includes modules from even older Unixy stuff. There's paying attention, there's worrying, and then there's running around with your hair on fire digging for a bomb shelter with your bare hands. We're at the pay attention stage.
MOKB showed that the kernel can be a source of bugs and that OS design should incorporate this problem into the design. This doesn't mean panic or worry or take a pair of scissors to your broad-band connection, this means Apple has some things to fix. It also showed that wireless is inherently insecure and the problems with drivers can affect Windows, Mac OSX and Linux.
Again, MOKB isn't all that important, it's Apple's response to problems that really matters.
No - 62%
See, that bugs me. Everyone should be concerned about security. I believe OS X's overriding security feature is obscurity, and once that situation changes I can see the OS falling over very quickly.
One of the weakest links in the chain is the user, and if the user is not concerned then you have a problem.
Dont get me wrong, I think OS X is great, but it just hasn't been "weathered" in the wild like Windows has. If OS X becomes a viable target then we're in for a bumpy ride.
OSX is based on FreeBSD, which has been around for an eternity and includes modules from even older Unixy stuff. There's paying attention, there's worrying, and then there's running around with your hair on fire digging for a bomb shelter with your bare hands. We're at the pay attention stage.
MOKB showed that the kernel can be a source of bugs and that OS design should incorporate this problem into the design. This doesn't mean panic or worry or take a pair of scissors to your broad-band connection, this means Apple has some things to fix. It also showed that wireless is inherently insecure and the problems with drivers can affect Windows, Mac OSX and Linux.
Again, MOKB isn't all that important, it's Apple's response to problems that really matters.
network23
Jul 25, 11:04 AM
But I think the biggest advantage is that it would be very very simple to adjust the interface to dial phonenumbers, type text messages, and so on. In other words: the iPhone would be within handreach, and it would not require dozens of buttons added to interface (eg via a dock connector like the FM radio) I believe this was planned for 2006
This is what I thought when I saw the report on the Apple patents for the different interfaces (number pad, 4-way "cross" control, iPod controls, etc.). What if those "alternative" controls were actually all "displayed" controls on a none-touch screen, and Apple is planning on making this device your iPod, your cell phone, and your gaming machine? Depending on what you select, the proper controls will appear.
We know Apple was looking to hire a game programmer for the iPod. We think Apple's working on a cell phone based on comments made at the last financials meeting. We saw the patents for the various control interfaces, coincidentally all being shown on the same form factor.
My concerns are cost(how in the world could Apple make such a device that's also affordable) and simplicity(most iPod reviewers seem to come to the conclusion that it's the iPod simplicity that's the key to its success). Adding all these features seems very un-Apple and could make the device rather confusing and cumbersome.
This is what I thought when I saw the report on the Apple patents for the different interfaces (number pad, 4-way "cross" control, iPod controls, etc.). What if those "alternative" controls were actually all "displayed" controls on a none-touch screen, and Apple is planning on making this device your iPod, your cell phone, and your gaming machine? Depending on what you select, the proper controls will appear.
We know Apple was looking to hire a game programmer for the iPod. We think Apple's working on a cell phone based on comments made at the last financials meeting. We saw the patents for the various control interfaces, coincidentally all being shown on the same form factor.
My concerns are cost(how in the world could Apple make such a device that's also affordable) and simplicity(most iPod reviewers seem to come to the conclusion that it's the iPod simplicity that's the key to its success). Adding all these features seems very un-Apple and could make the device rather confusing and cumbersome.
countach
Oct 24, 09:14 AM
I was disappointed that the resolution was not updated to 1920x1200...I would assume this would have added siginificant costs? or maybe they think the current resolution is good enough and that there is little noticable difference between the current vs 1920x1200 ? Anyone else feel this is a big deal? Reasons why the higher resolution is not necessary? Thanks
On a windows machine, everything seemed absurdly small under 1920x1200, but it might not be such a problem on a mac where more stuff is scaled. I would have liked to see the bigger resolution though.
On a windows machine, everything seemed absurdly small under 1920x1200, but it might not be such a problem on a mac where more stuff is scaled. I would have liked to see the bigger resolution though.
craigatkinson
Jul 25, 09:17 AM
Nope, I checked. No educational discount on the mighty mouse. :(
Your kidding?
PS: Maybe I can get an Edu discount on it, also.
Your kidding?
PS: Maybe I can get an Edu discount on it, also.
NathanCH
Apr 4, 01:23 PM
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/616276/DSC_2488_s.jpg
50mm, ISO100, F5.6, 1/1600
50mm, ISO100, F5.6, 1/1600
turbobass
Apr 27, 04:28 PM
Tuesday was yesterday. QUICK! Create a new thread saying that the new iMacs will be here NEXT TUESDAY!
I'm shaking so hard from excitement after convincing myself this was true, I CAN'T TYPE!!
I'm shaking so hard from excitement after convincing myself this was true, I CAN'T TYPE!!
Surely
Sep 12, 09:26 PM
Awwww @ the dog.
I bought one of these today:
http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=251307&d=1284302963
It's a Strawberry Banana Smoothie. peapody gave me the idea after posting it in the last thread. I looked up its nutritional info, and I think it might be the healthiest thing on McDonalds' menu!
251416
The only thing I've bought at McDonald's in the past 5 years is their coffee/iced coffee.
I bought one of these today:
http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=251307&d=1284302963
It's a Strawberry Banana Smoothie. peapody gave me the idea after posting it in the last thread. I looked up its nutritional info, and I think it might be the healthiest thing on McDonalds' menu!
251416
The only thing I've bought at McDonald's in the past 5 years is their coffee/iced coffee.
SactoGuy18
Apr 14, 06:47 AM
In the end, the iPhone 5 will probably be like this:
1. Will look like a "thicker" 4G iPod touch.
2. Display is now 4" IPS LCD touchscreen that goes almost all the way the edge of the device on the left and right side when you hold it vertically.
3. The back will now be grey color, mostly because the back is now a Liquidmetal metal back. We can rule out carbon fiber back due to normally high production costs for carbon fiber parts.
4. Will have completely redesigned antenna designed so you don't get signal loss regardless of how you hold the device.
5. Will use Apple A5 dual-core CPU/GPU.
6. Will use 512 MB system RAM (unless Apple can squeeze out another 256 MB of RAM internally).
7. Storage capacities will be 16, 32 and now 64 GB of flash memory.
8. Will use new Qualcomm or Broadcom cellphone chipset that supports GSM, CDMA and LTE so the iPhone 5 becomes a "universal" cellphone.
9. Will incorporate the latest Bluetooth 4.0 standard connectivity.
10. Will incorporate near-field communications connectivity that is at least compatible with the Sony-developed FeliCa standard (very necessary for use in Hong Kong, Japan and South Korea).
1. Will look like a "thicker" 4G iPod touch.
2. Display is now 4" IPS LCD touchscreen that goes almost all the way the edge of the device on the left and right side when you hold it vertically.
3. The back will now be grey color, mostly because the back is now a Liquidmetal metal back. We can rule out carbon fiber back due to normally high production costs for carbon fiber parts.
4. Will have completely redesigned antenna designed so you don't get signal loss regardless of how you hold the device.
5. Will use Apple A5 dual-core CPU/GPU.
6. Will use 512 MB system RAM (unless Apple can squeeze out another 256 MB of RAM internally).
7. Storage capacities will be 16, 32 and now 64 GB of flash memory.
8. Will use new Qualcomm or Broadcom cellphone chipset that supports GSM, CDMA and LTE so the iPhone 5 becomes a "universal" cellphone.
9. Will incorporate the latest Bluetooth 4.0 standard connectivity.
10. Will incorporate near-field communications connectivity that is at least compatible with the Sony-developed FeliCa standard (very necessary for use in Hong Kong, Japan and South Korea).
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar