LagunaSol
Apr 4, 12:40 PM
Who votes this positive?
Anyone who believes in the rule of law.
Anyone who believes in the rule of law.
Denndave
Sep 26, 01:27 PM
Why doesn't Apple just sell the phone themselves??? That way, people all over the world can buy it. Why doesn't Apple sell it themselves on their website and their Apple Stores?
Please, please, please, do not switch to Cingular just for this phone! They are known for having the worst customer service in the USA. It was a nightmare being with them (5 calls a month to Cingular customer service, at ~45 minutes each, to correct their billing mistakes). I switched to T-Mobile, and they are FAR better. Their customer service is a excellent.
Getting back to the main subject though... If this product is being sold as locked in the USA, I will just buy an unlocked one from Europe and have it shipped to me.
Please, please, please, do not switch to Cingular just for this phone! They are known for having the worst customer service in the USA. It was a nightmare being with them (5 calls a month to Cingular customer service, at ~45 minutes each, to correct their billing mistakes). I switched to T-Mobile, and they are FAR better. Their customer service is a excellent.
Getting back to the main subject though... If this product is being sold as locked in the USA, I will just buy an unlocked one from Europe and have it shipped to me.
derbothaus
Mar 23, 12:34 PM
Wonder if they'll use i7-2600 or the laptop parts? i7-2600 would be sick. But at 3.4GHz, the fans would be loud and the case would be hot. I guess we have that with the 2.93 i7 so never mind.
CaptMurdock
Apr 21, 08:46 AM
Sure is. A hypothetical I like to propose:
Considering that the discrepancies between "rich" and "poor" as far as voting goes are far over blown (http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/24/even-more-on-income-and-voting/) (Rich DO vote liberal and poor DO vote conservative) with the top third of white income earners STILL voting liberal, despite their high incomes and the ever-pervasive myth that rich people vote republican.
If this top third of income earners, instead of trying to legislate their charities through democratic votes and the force of law, simply put 50%, 60%, 70%, hell, 90% of their incomes towards charity rather than owning a home, owning multiple vehicles, owning boats, "traveling", shopping at Lunds or Kowalskis, etc, the poverty problem would be fixed, or at the very least, helped significantly without forcing ANYBODY to do ANYTHING.
But then again, these people would rather force everyone to pony up the dough rather than take a hit to their lifestyles.
Charity is a beautiful thing, but forced charity?
Oh, good... I was wondering when the "Screw you, I got mine" crowd would come out of hiding.
Considering that the discrepancies between "rich" and "poor" as far as voting goes are far over blown (http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/24/even-more-on-income-and-voting/) (Rich DO vote liberal and poor DO vote conservative) with the top third of white income earners STILL voting liberal, despite their high incomes and the ever-pervasive myth that rich people vote republican.
If this top third of income earners, instead of trying to legislate their charities through democratic votes and the force of law, simply put 50%, 60%, 70%, hell, 90% of their incomes towards charity rather than owning a home, owning multiple vehicles, owning boats, "traveling", shopping at Lunds or Kowalskis, etc, the poverty problem would be fixed, or at the very least, helped significantly without forcing ANYBODY to do ANYTHING.
But then again, these people would rather force everyone to pony up the dough rather than take a hit to their lifestyles.
Charity is a beautiful thing, but forced charity?
Oh, good... I was wondering when the "Screw you, I got mine" crowd would come out of hiding.
ouimetnick
Apr 25, 12:52 PM
The unibody was already a giant leap forward. How much better can Apple get?
I'm more interested in the specifications, and hardware (electronics) not so much the casing.
I'm more interested in the specifications, and hardware (electronics) not so much the casing.
flinstone
Sep 12, 02:28 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Yezzzzsss What a soft news. not even HD movies!!!!!! Really bad....
What's with the the ipods? Again a mini ipod but thinner :confused: And still the same real ipod but with a different screen that they probably could buy cheeper..wtf! I thought thinks should go forward in Apple land??? And than this........!!Only Disney!! Pfffff. (And then they announced the 24" imac in silence! :D :D :D :D )
Yezzzzsss What a soft news. not even HD movies!!!!!! Really bad....
What's with the the ipods? Again a mini ipod but thinner :confused: And still the same real ipod but with a different screen that they probably could buy cheeper..wtf! I thought thinks should go forward in Apple land??? And than this........!!Only Disney!! Pfffff. (And then they announced the 24" imac in silence! :D :D :D :D )
Manic Mouse
Jul 16, 03:23 PM
There is no way apple with go with Merom for the imac. One huge factor you are all ignoring, is price. Merom cost alot more than conroe for the same speed. Apple will try to lower cost, and that means going with Conroe.
The CPU is probably the single most expensive component of the iMac, so if they use Conroe they not only have faster processors but they are also saving money which means more profit for Apple.
The million dollar question is whether or not the thermals of Conroe allow it to be used within the constrained iMac design. At the very least it'll need a new motherboard, or possibly a re-design.
Conroes are the most power efficient desktop processor currently available, so fingers crossed!
The CPU is probably the single most expensive component of the iMac, so if they use Conroe they not only have faster processors but they are also saving money which means more profit for Apple.
The million dollar question is whether or not the thermals of Conroe allow it to be used within the constrained iMac design. At the very least it'll need a new motherboard, or possibly a re-design.
Conroes are the most power efficient desktop processor currently available, so fingers crossed!
aurichie
Mar 29, 11:49 AM
When Windows starts to come close to SL in terms of ease of use and functionality let me know ;)
Windows is as easy to use as SL. I'd say in terms of functionality Windows beats SL hands down. But most Apple fans idea of functionality in Windows is complexity and they prefer the dumbed down Mac operating system.
When I start using Mac OS X 2 years ago, it took me two solid months to get used to its ways. I can tell you, when I started out, I would not have described Apple's operating system as easy to use. Now I'm competent using two operating systems, and can appreciate the strengths and weaknesses of both. Neither are very difficult to use if you apply yourself to learning, but you have to put in the time to take full advantage of either one of them.
Windows is as easy to use as SL. I'd say in terms of functionality Windows beats SL hands down. But most Apple fans idea of functionality in Windows is complexity and they prefer the dumbed down Mac operating system.
When I start using Mac OS X 2 years ago, it took me two solid months to get used to its ways. I can tell you, when I started out, I would not have described Apple's operating system as easy to use. Now I'm competent using two operating systems, and can appreciate the strengths and weaknesses of both. Neither are very difficult to use if you apply yourself to learning, but you have to put in the time to take full advantage of either one of them.
Atlasland
Sep 10, 04:50 AM
So where would this go? Into the fabled Pro minitower? There's nowhere else.
weg
Oct 28, 08:09 AM
It's about time Apple got rid of some of the rubbish materials in their machines, it's not that the campaigners are trying to brusie Apple but encourage them to be better than their competitors. I mean, Apple already has many advantages over Windows, so surely 'Green' can be one of them.
As long as Microsoft doesn't remove the power management from Vista there's no way how an operating system could be non-green...
As long as Microsoft doesn't remove the power management from Vista there's no way how an operating system could be non-green...
AppleScruff1
Apr 19, 11:28 AM
Slightly?
Samsung is a huge Conglomerate.
In fact they built one of these.
I'm well aware of that, but many here have no idea that Samsung is much bigger than Apple.
Samsung is a huge Conglomerate.
In fact they built one of these.
I'm well aware of that, but many here have no idea that Samsung is much bigger than Apple.
morespce54
Aug 24, 10:54 AM
Definitely interesting......now I'll just have to remember to never buy Creative products :) I like Apple not Creative........so why support a company I do not like that sued a company I do like and got $100 million in a lawsuit over a BS patent.
Because buying from the company you don't love will pay 10% to the company you love! ;)
Because buying from the company you don't love will pay 10% to the company you love! ;)
billy_d_goat
Sep 1, 08:07 AM
Minor hardware upgrades, sure. But, a largescale hardware rollout, I doubt it. New Movie Store sounds great though!
And what is with all the drunk skunks in here?! :eek:
And what is with all the drunk skunks in here?! :eek:
juicedropsdeuce
Mar 29, 11:16 AM
.
By that point Steve will be long gone so this is easily possible.
By that point Steve will be long gone so this is easily possible.
halhiker
Sep 14, 04:34 AM
"A taste of things to come" being said by Jobs at the same event as the release of a way to 'type' on an iPod with just the clickwheel :rolleyes:
I don't think there would be a great need for a numpad if dialling, SMS, etc. can all be done from this wheel?
I currently believe that if one is on the way, it would look a lot more like the iPod video of today than we think.
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2006/09/dsc_0870.jpg
EDIT: Picture.
I have to think this is VERY possible. Why is a num pad even needed in most cases? I know who I want to call. I have their number synced from my address book. I scroll down to their name and press call. No dialing needed.
I don't think there would be a great need for a numpad if dialling, SMS, etc. can all be done from this wheel?
I currently believe that if one is on the way, it would look a lot more like the iPod video of today than we think.
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2006/09/dsc_0870.jpg
EDIT: Picture.
I have to think this is VERY possible. Why is a num pad even needed in most cases? I know who I want to call. I have their number synced from my address book. I scroll down to their name and press call. No dialing needed.
Diatribe
Sep 19, 03:30 PM
Besides, I'd be completely happy with 720p as that's basically the most that affordable displays can show these days anyway. Give me that and I'd only buy my movies on the iTS.
thejadedmonkey
Nov 13, 06:18 PM
Aplenty needs to clean up their act here.
Rogue isn't a small homegrown company, they deserve to be respected. With policies like this, the App Store might just eventually die.
I hope it dies. It's an abomination among software development.
Rogue isn't a small homegrown company, they deserve to be respected. With policies like this, the App Store might just eventually die.
I hope it dies. It's an abomination among software development.
Hunts121
Jul 14, 09:57 AM
It's a mess to open up the iMac and take the heatsink/CPU assembly off. Even I think it's scary. :eek:
haha I never said I'd attempt it, just that its possible :D
haha I never said I'd attempt it, just that its possible :D
Bibulous
Sep 9, 08:43 AM
The fact that the new iMacs can't address more than 3Gb of memory and are therefore operating on a 32bit logic-board makes me doubtful as to whether or not these systems are really 64-bit capable... It seems like some kind of hybrid 32/64bit system.
Will the C2D iMacs be able to run 64bit code, despite not having the 64bit address space (and being able to access over 4Gb or RAM)?
That's why I'm sticking with my 64bit G5 iMac ;)
Will the C2D iMacs be able to run 64bit code, despite not having the 64bit address space (and being able to access over 4Gb or RAM)?
That's why I'm sticking with my 64bit G5 iMac ;)
MagnusVonMagnum
Apr 13, 07:05 PM
MagnusVonMagnum -
Unless you've purchased / converted music in Apple lossless format it IS way better quality.
95% of my music is from my massive CD collection and it has been ripped to Apple Lossless. Does Sonos sell lossless music? If not, WTF are you talking about? You're then comparing apples to oranges. You can just as easily make an Apple lossless library on iTunes as a Flac one for Sonos or XBMC or whatever the heck you prefer to use. One review of Sonos I read says it does not support WMA Lossless (which IS sold online via Music Giants) so that is moot as well.
As for the whole "AAC versus Lossless (of any kind)" thing, I will not even bother arguing about the sonic transparency of 256kbit VBR AAC (Lets just say I've never heard about anyone proving they could tell the difference in a double blind test. I'm well aware of "audiophile" tendencies as I used to be one until I realized 80% of it is snake-oil BS. I now buy what actually makes a difference (high quality speakers and room treatments) and I've never had anyone complain about either of my two systems). I did my own extensive testing between my lossless rips and 256 AAC and I could never tell the difference. For convenience sake, my own lossless library is archive only now. iTunes lets me handle mobile/home in a seamless manner by using only one library for both (something that would be useless with Sonos as it is clearly only home use. You can't play most lossless formats in the car whereas my old JVC and my new factory Subaru WRX player's USB ports handle AAC (as well as MP3 and WMA) just fine. There's nothing quite like taking up to 64GB of music on a USB stick with you on the road. It's like having a 1000 disc CD changer in the car.
Unless you've purchased / converted music in Apple lossless format it IS way better quality.
95% of my music is from my massive CD collection and it has been ripped to Apple Lossless. Does Sonos sell lossless music? If not, WTF are you talking about? You're then comparing apples to oranges. You can just as easily make an Apple lossless library on iTunes as a Flac one for Sonos or XBMC or whatever the heck you prefer to use. One review of Sonos I read says it does not support WMA Lossless (which IS sold online via Music Giants) so that is moot as well.
As for the whole "AAC versus Lossless (of any kind)" thing, I will not even bother arguing about the sonic transparency of 256kbit VBR AAC (Lets just say I've never heard about anyone proving they could tell the difference in a double blind test. I'm well aware of "audiophile" tendencies as I used to be one until I realized 80% of it is snake-oil BS. I now buy what actually makes a difference (high quality speakers and room treatments) and I've never had anyone complain about either of my two systems). I did my own extensive testing between my lossless rips and 256 AAC and I could never tell the difference. For convenience sake, my own lossless library is archive only now. iTunes lets me handle mobile/home in a seamless manner by using only one library for both (something that would be useless with Sonos as it is clearly only home use. You can't play most lossless formats in the car whereas my old JVC and my new factory Subaru WRX player's USB ports handle AAC (as well as MP3 and WMA) just fine. There's nothing quite like taking up to 64GB of music on a USB stick with you on the road. It's like having a 1000 disc CD changer in the car.
LegendKillerUK
Mar 30, 12:48 PM
Am I missing something from this? You're using a screenshot of Windows showing file types and the only thing showing the use of the term "Application" is on iTunes related files?
How does that prove your point? I really don't know if I missed what you were actually trying to convey? It's kinda like when someone is horribly wrong and because of that you start to question yourself if you were even right in the first place.
Thought it was clear so I'll try again.
http://i.imgur.com/bQOJh.jpg
Notice the iTunes.exe in the middle? It being the actual program but is denoted as Application.;)
How does that prove your point? I really don't know if I missed what you were actually trying to convey? It's kinda like when someone is horribly wrong and because of that you start to question yourself if you were even right in the first place.
Thought it was clear so I'll try again.
http://i.imgur.com/bQOJh.jpg
Notice the iTunes.exe in the middle? It being the actual program but is denoted as Application.;)
HecubusPro
Sep 20, 11:43 PM
I'd have to say most people care almost nothing about a case or liner notes for DVDs since there really isn't anything of substance. Usually a synopsis and a chapter listing. With DVDs the good stuff is actually on the DVD, and hopefully the download is the same, with menus and different audio tracks, etc. If not, there is no point to downloading movies.
But geez, ditch the jewel cases and liner notes and grow up already. Unless you're not grown up, in which case I envy you. Enjoy!
I don't think being "grown up" has anything to do with it, which is a bit of a patronizing way to put it. For those who do enjoy having the physical disc plus case, instert, etc. in their hands, great. There's absolutely nothing wrong what-so-ever in wanting that. Why would it? It's a matter of personal preference.
I would wager easily that most people do want and enjoy having that tactile experience of holding the case, reading the insert (if it comes with one), and placing the disc in the DVD player. The people who generally don't care about that sort of thing are the few who are ready for a service like this, or people who have been downloading TV shows and movies already, whether legal or otherwise.
I'm looking forward to downloading HD content for my iTV, but I'm going to miss having that case, and I'm an old man--again, being "grown up" has nothing to do with it.
But geez, ditch the jewel cases and liner notes and grow up already. Unless you're not grown up, in which case I envy you. Enjoy!
I don't think being "grown up" has anything to do with it, which is a bit of a patronizing way to put it. For those who do enjoy having the physical disc plus case, instert, etc. in their hands, great. There's absolutely nothing wrong what-so-ever in wanting that. Why would it? It's a matter of personal preference.
I would wager easily that most people do want and enjoy having that tactile experience of holding the case, reading the insert (if it comes with one), and placing the disc in the DVD player. The people who generally don't care about that sort of thing are the few who are ready for a service like this, or people who have been downloading TV shows and movies already, whether legal or otherwise.
I'm looking forward to downloading HD content for my iTV, but I'm going to miss having that case, and I'm an old man--again, being "grown up" has nothing to do with it.
Demoman
Sep 10, 04:26 PM
I remember back in the 2nd half of the 90's, HP came out with the dual Pentium II processor configuration, which only ran on NT. At the time I was administering a new Sparc network and we had a Sun 690MP with 4 ultra-Sparc processors. I thought is was cool that MS PC's had moved to multiple processors.
However, I was disappointed to learn that the 2nd processor could be only be used for little more than a coprocessor. So, I did some reading about the relationship of the Bus design, processor architecture and the OS. It made me appreciate Sparc a lot more.
Fast forward 10 years and it seems like I need to do some more reading. I would like to get current with what is being used today, and what may be in the pipeline for the next couple years.
I can search the web. But, I know some of you are very knowledgeable about this and may have a good source to recommend. Thanks.
However, I was disappointed to learn that the 2nd processor could be only be used for little more than a coprocessor. So, I did some reading about the relationship of the Bus design, processor architecture and the OS. It made me appreciate Sparc a lot more.
Fast forward 10 years and it seems like I need to do some more reading. I would like to get current with what is being used today, and what may be in the pipeline for the next couple years.
I can search the web. But, I know some of you are very knowledgeable about this and may have a good source to recommend. Thanks.
bjdku
Aug 31, 01:38 PM
If that's true for an small format movie, the Itunes Movie store will bomb. There is no way in hell people will pay that money. Is better buy a DVD at your local store.
Apple knows that, so that's why I am pretty sure it won't happen.
I agree they know better, and who has been feverishly building bandwidth and capability to deliver full length full resolution movies...Google has.
And who just joined the Apple Board, the Google CEO!!!!
Tantalizing!
Apple knows that, so that's why I am pretty sure it won't happen.
I agree they know better, and who has been feverishly building bandwidth and capability to deliver full length full resolution movies...Google has.
And who just joined the Apple Board, the Google CEO!!!!
Tantalizing!
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar